House

House

Friday, June 27, 2008

Diagnosis

Okay, I can spell the name now! The disease is called Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. It's kind of an immune or allergic response to illness or drugs. The doctor said she thinks it's environmental, too, because she saw it more in Oregon than she sees it here. At any rate, it is something triggered internally, not caused by a virus or bacteria.

Sunny is feeling pretty good this morning after 12 hours of sleep. We'll see how long she keeps up her energy before she gets pitiful again. I'll probably have more to say later in the day.

3 comments:

MikeG said...

Hi,

My daughter has had HSP about a half dozen times over the last five years or so.

The only way to prove for certain that it's HSP is with a skin biopsy.

There is some evidence that indicates it can be caused by the bodies reaction to a virus. My daughter's HSP episodes were always preceded by a sore throat/strep throat.

One of the more common but serious complications is renal failure. You should have your child in for a urinalysis testing to determine her protein/creatine ratios.

I would recommend these site for additional information/support:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Henoch-Schonlein/

www.hspsupport.org

I also have a google group set up:

http://groups.google.com/group/henoch-schonlein-purpura?lnk=srg

Best wishes for your little one,

Mike

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. When your kids have stuff with barley pronounceable names it's always scary. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Tami said...

Hi! I am glad that "sunny" is feeling better.

We are REALLY excited that you have a blog!! It has been a fun way for our kids to keep up on what their cousins are doing. We are glad that we can keep in touch this way with you guys too! I just asked Abby if she wanted to see some pictures of your girls and she was thrilled. Blogging is nice and easy to update too, which is great.

Take care!