House

House

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Running to Stand Still

Yes, it's long and musing. There is a point at the end, though, I promise!

"Abel" did not gain very much weight before his 2-day visit, so the doctor decreed that he should eat every 2 hours. Abel is also a lazy nurser. He generally likes to eat about 20 minutes per side. This means that out of every 2 hours, I have been spending roughly 50 minutes in the process of feeding, burping, and changing him. Luckily, with the Thanksgiving break, Ben and the older girls have been around much of the time to help. My mom has also been amazing. I have sometimes lamented the fact that she doesn't just come to stay for a whole week after the birth of a baby, but I think it's better this way. She didn't come for an entire week, but she can still come when I need her past the first week.

Anyway, I think Abel is putting on weight nicely now. I don't have a scale, but his cheeks sure seem chubbier to me! The past couple of days I have sometimes let him stretch 2 1/2 to 3 hours between feedings. This morning, he ate around 9am. Then he actually stayed awake after, which is unusual for him. (He mostly likes to be awake from 11pm to 1am and not much else.) I then tried to put him down for a nap. I laid down with him, and naturally, we both fell asleep. Buster came in when the TV came to a break, which is good because it woke me up. I realized I should make some lunch for Sunny and Buster. I was hoping Abel would continue to sleep for a while, but as I chivvied Buster and Sunny downstairs so they wouldn't be underfoot while cooking, Abel started crying.

I must confess that I often use the television to keep the kids out from underfoot. Sometimes it goes beyond use to abuse, unfortunately. Such was the case this morning. The TV had been on for most of the time from 7am until 11am, except for breakfast. Neither Sunny nor Buster was there the WHOLE time, but they had each watched about 3 hours. So here I am, trying to make lunch. Buster started opening all the cupboards and drawers in the kitchen, and Sunny was whining. After they went downstairs, Sunny was pouting (she wanted me to play with her) and Buster was amusing himself by hitting her and pulling her hair. Abel was crying in his bed. I decided that he could keep crying for a few minutes while I got lunch started.

I served lunch and fed the baby. After lunch, Sunny said she was tired and went downstairs. Buster finished, and I put him down for a nap. Abel, exhausted after his crying spell and waiting for his lunch, zonked out while eating and remained so after I put him in bed.

At about 12:15, I looked around the house. An hour before, three kids had been adamant about needing something! Crying, whining, misbehaving... Now, peace and quiet. I almost didn't know what to do with myself. Now I have had a delightful hour and a half. I put dinner in the Crock-Pot (yay!), did some dishes, and still had time for a peaceful lunch and leisure time in front of the computer. It's about time to get Abel up and feed him again, but now I'm recharged and ready.

I have learned that in parenting, it's often not so much bad days as bad hours. Sometimes it's just a very bad 10 minutes. And sometimes, yes, there are so many bad periods that the whole day seems bad. If I can take a minute to regroup and tell myself it can't last much longer, I somehow survive. Today it was a quick prayer as Abel started crying, and I knew that to cope, he would just have to wait a minute. I'm grateful for the inspiration I receive in this challenging job. And it is crazy to go from insanity to near-boredom in 10 minutes flat. Oh, and now I hear Abel.

Have a great day!

No comments: