House

House

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Some days are better than others

Have you ever had a day where the kids seem determined to get into trouble? This morning I helped Sunny wash her hands after breakfast, and she protested when I tried to turn off the water. I figured I could let her play for a couple of minutes. Next thing I knew, Missy and Sunny had filled up the sink with soapy water and were swimming their toothbrushes in it. I was planning on buying new toothbrushes today anyway, so I didn't stop them. After changing Buster's diaper, I hear someone complaining about suds in their hair. Sure enough, they had gotten bored with the toothbrushes and were smearing suds up their arms and in their hair. Bath time! Now it's one argument after another in the play room. They just can't agree on the rules of play today.

Some hard days I wonder if it's my exhaustion or some other factor that results in a faster loss of patience. This was definitely out of the ordinary. And why can they play happily together one day, and the next is a series of fights?

Yesterday actually went quite well even though Ben is gone. The girls all pitched in to do their Saturday work and played happily while I worked. I'm glad I have help coming today to deal with all their petty arguments while I actually accomplish something. Speaking of which, I should wrap this up.

One more thing, though... Every night we ask the kids what their favorite part of the day was. Kandy is usually decisive, Missy takes time to ponder the day, and Sunny is pretty random. Last night as I was tucking them in, skunk smell started to come in through the cooler. When I asked Sunny what her favorite part of the day was, she said, "Smelling the skunk!" with a huge grin on her face. What a comedienne!!!

Buster and Sunny both ended up in bed with me this morning.

No comments: