House

House

Monday, May 3, 2010

Church With Kids

Sacrament Meeting was just comical today for me! We got there about 10 minutes early, which was great. Ben went up to translate for the Spanish-speakers in our ward. Right before the meeting started, I realized Buster was stinky. I got up and asked our 11-year-old neighbor, “Z,” to come sit with the rest of the kids while I went to change his diaper. I got to the Mother's Room and realized I had no wipes! Luckily, there is a sink and paper towels right with the changing counter, so it was just an inconvenience. I got him changed and took him back to the meeting. I had to sit on the other end of the bench because another wonderful neighbor had sat in my spot to help with kids, too. She was by Abel. Anyway, I guess business was short today, because they were already singing the hymn to prepare for the sacrament when Buster and I came back.

During the sacrament, things were pretty calm until Missy said she needed to use the restroom. I encouraged her to wait until the sacrament was over, which she did. Toward the end of the sacrament, Abel started getting fussy. They took him out of his carseat and passed him down the row to me. He started pooping. As the sacrament finished, Missy got up and left. A minute or two later, Sunny informed me that she, too, needed the bathroom. I grabbed Abel, the diaper bag, and Sunny and left. Missy was still in the bathroom. She finished washing her hands, so I sent her into the Mother's Room (which is off the same little hallway but has a totally separate door) to hold Abel while I helped Sunny finish up in the restroom. Sunny finished, so I took Abel and sent the girls back into the chapel while I changed Abel's diaper. Luckily, one of my good friends was there, so I was able to borrow her wipes. Abel's diaper had leaked, necessitating a complete change of clothing. Once that was complete, I started to go back into the chapel.

As I was pulling open the door, a flash of yellow caught my eye. I looked toward the foyer, and there was Missy spinning around! I walked into the vestibule where I found Z with Buster and Missy, both of whom were twirling. I handed Abel to Z and the diaper bag to Missy. Then I grabbed Buster and sat down with him. After a few minutes, I got him settled down enough that we returned to our bench. Z continued to hold Abel, and Buster lay down on the bench next to me with his paci, burp cloth, and blanket. I actually did get to listen to a few minutes of the meeting at that point. It was Fast Sunday, though, and eventually, Kandy decided to bear her testimony. Once Buster saw her up at the podium, he tried to go up on the stand. I restrained him, so he started crying and yelling, “Wanna talk!” He refused to calm down, so I took him out of the meeting again. I sat in the foyer with him for the rest of the meeting.

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading all that! I don't know how you do it; you must be Super Mom!