House

House

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving!

Dinner turned out just fine.  I did NOT have to pluck the turkeys (well, not much), but they cost far more than I was expecting.  Between the hassle and the cost, if I'm here next year, I think I'll just buy turkey cuts at the store.

We had 4 missionaries here, who were all a great help.  I never would have finished in time if it weren't for them!  The sisters helped tons with the cooking (especially the pies), and the elders helped with setting up the extra table and entertaining the boys.

Ben's coworkers arrived.  They brought lovely hostess gifts: a bouquet of tulips and chocolate.  Peter also brought some delicious homemade sauerkraut.  Peter was born in Poland, but he is in the process of receiving his American citizenship.  Having him join us at this American holiday was a special pleasure.  The kids love that he brought each of them a chocolate bar and a chocolate advent calendar.

We had turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato and peach casserole, green beans, a spinach salad, and sauerkraut.  We honored the local traditions by eating baguettes instead of homemade rolls.  For dessert, we had pumpkin pie (from fresh pumpkins) and apple pie.

It was odd to have a house full of friends and strangers instead of family, but it was great to enjoy the holiday and celebrate the many blessing we receive daily.

The next day we had a Relief Society meeting about gratitude and holiday traditions around the world.  I brought leftovers to share, introducing them to the wonderful turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich.  The other sisters brought amazing food, too.  I have eaten a little too well this weekend, I think!

We still don't have a dishwasher, but Ben and the kids got the kitchen clean before I got home from the activity.  I enjoyed a nap and a leisurely afternoon.

No comments: