House

House

Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Preparation

I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving yesterday.  Since it's not a holiday here, we planned our Thanksgiving dinner for Friday night.  We invited several people from Ben's work and all 4 missionaries from our branch.  They usually can't eat together at a member's home, but since Ben is now the Branch Mission Leader, they can!

10 days ago, our dishwasher broke.  Last Saturday, our landlord came and pulled it out, assuring me that the new one would be installed Wednesday or Thursday evening.  As I start this post, it's Friday morning, and the dishwasher is not yet installed.  On Wednesday night, my slow cooker pot got broken.  I was counting on it for my sweet potatoes, so I needed to replace it.

Yesterday was my day to get all the errands done so I could just cook today.  In Utah, when you go to the kitchen appliance section, there is usually a decent selection of slow cookers.  Not here!  I started looking at about 8:45.  After 6 or 7 stores, I had finally found one by 2:00.  It was also tough to find a roasting pan large enough for a small turkey.  Speaking of turkey, I ordered my turkey on Monday.  The lady was quite shocked when I requested a 22-pound bird.  Apparently they're not usually over 11 pounds here.  When we spoke later in the week, she did say they had found one of about 16 pounds.  I just called her, and it hasn't been delivered yet.  I hope that it arrives in time to cook it and especially that it doesn't still have feathers.

Yesterday I did succeed in finding bacon (we like to cover the turkey with it) and fresh cranberries!  I felt truly blessed to find everything I needed yesterday.  Well, except the turkey and the pastry blender.

This morning, Ben woke up with a terrific headache.  He is trying to recover enough to go to work.  I'm wondering when my turkey will arrive at the shop.  I'm also wondering if he'll feel well enough by this evening to have a party.  I guess I'd better go make pies and other such things that can be done this morning.  I'll let you know how it all turns out!


No comments: