House

House

Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Remembered and Thoughts on our World Now

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. There was a wonderful and special “Music and the Spoken Word,” and KSL also had a special news broadcast this evening. I had the opportunity to talk to the girls about it. The world truly changed that day. Much has gone back to the way it was, such as the bickering and political infighting, but we do still have a sense of unity behind it all. It's kind of like a family: you bicker and argue with your siblings, but you still present a united front to others and dislike it when they pick on and bully a sibling.

We will never have the sense of security we had prior to this horrific attack, and although I understand the necessity, I get frustrated with the measures we take to increase security. I'm not certain they actually help prevent atrocities. I think they mostly inconvenience good people. As my mom says, “Locks are for honest people.” A criminal determined to steal will find a way to break in where a casual thief will not not. Terrorists are innovative and can probably find ways to circumvent much of the current personal violations that we suffer through in the name of security. Due to some articles I've read, I would trust a sniffing dog more than most of the machines we use! I think that some of the terrorists are laughing up their sleeves at how we have bowed to this necessity. They have succeeded in wounding our peace and removing our personal freedoms, albeit mostly small ones. We can still choose to fly, but we have to put up with inconvenience, and we are more restricted than ever about what we can take on a plane. For example, Ben once had to choose between throwing away a pocket knife and mailing it to himself at an airport. The people at CakeWrecks have decided that the security isn't worth it and have decided to conduct their next book tour by car! Finally, as we have necessarily gone to war (which I do support), we have lost many more lives than those they originally stole on 9/11.

ANYWAY...big tangent. I was not planning on jumping on my soapbox! Today was interesting to see what has changed and what has reverted during the past decade.

No comments: