House

House

Friday, April 8, 2011

Surreal

I love being a real estate agent! I get to look inside other houses all the time. I love to see the way the floor plans fit into the exterior.

Today I had a very odd experience showing a house. I received a call from a client requesting to see a particular house in Bountiful. He laughed as he asked about it because he knows our family, and he realized that this house was where my father grew up! My parents were living there when I was born, too, and moved out when I was three.

It was a very surreal experience as we opened the front door. It was so familiar even though I didn't really remember much of it. I remembered the basic floor plan, and I noticed that the shag carpet had mercifully been removed from the dining room. I couldn't remember which bedroom was mine, though. My brother had a vivid nightmare involving the basement bathroom window, so just looking at it made me laugh! I showed my friend the back of the bathroom door where I decided to play school with lipstick in the middle of the night. I don't remember it, but the picture sure is funny!

My parents are out of town, but we called my dad and talked to him about it. He asked about the pool in the backyard. My grandmother was practically a fish, and she loved that pool. We have old family movies of my dad and his siblings helping to build it. It was a lot smaller than I remembered! Sadly enough, it had has been sorely neglected. My dad asked if there was water in it. "Yes," we replied, "rain water!" It has been used as a garbage and yard waste dump. My first memory is being taken out of that pool to get my diaper changed. Another early memory is standing on the back patio having my mom tie on my swimsuit.

My client liked a lot of things about the house. It might be his favorite yet. How strange and cool if he buys it! Either way, I'm really glad I had a chance to go look around.

No comments: