House

House

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Buster's Adventure

We had an exciting afternoon with Buster a week ago. He split his scalp and got six staples. Want the long story? Keep reading. Pictures are at the end.

Buster, Abel, and the two kids I tend were playing in the living room, and I was getting ready to go to the Carl Bloch art exhibition with my mom. Buster had a stinky diaper. I called to him, but he wouldn't come. I went into the living room and scooped him up, carrying him toward his room. I stepped over the threshold of the gate and stepped on a glossy folder on the dining room floor. I started to do the splits and went down. I was looking right into Buster's face as we went down. We fell into the hallway, and there was a loud noise as his head hit something. I'm not sure if it was just the floor or if he hit the corner of the wall on the way down. He cried very hard, and I was a little concerned. Then I helped him sit up. There was blood on the carpet, and the back of his head was gushing! I put pressure on it with my hand for a moment, then I ran to grab a towel. I called the dad of the other kids. He was just about to leave, so he came quickly to get the kids. I called Z to come help me get Buster to the hospital. I told my mom that the exhibition was definitely out! (Sometime during all this, I did change the stinky diaper.) I texted Ben, and he managed to leave work early to come drive us to the hospital. I'm glad he did because that way I was able to maintain pressure on the wound by holding his head in both hands. He says he was worried because he could tell I sounded shaky and shocky on the phone.

Well, we went to the hospital. They took a look and said he would definitely need staples. The gash is about 4 inches long, if memory serves. It took 6 staples to close it, but at least they didn't have to shave his head. He did really well! Even the medical staff commented on how well he did. The worst part was that one of the staples had to be removed and redone.

It took about 3 hours from the time of the injury until we were in the car going home.

I feel bad about it, but there really wasn't any way the end of the fall could have been avoided. I am amazed that I didn't see that folder on the floor, though.

All things considered, we were blessed. Buster's injury, while bad, is not life threatening. We have insurance to pay for the procedure. Babysitting was all lined up, so I didn't have to worry about WHO could take Abel for me, and the girls were already planning on walking to the other family's house. Ben was teaching something that he could actually leave early, which is unusual.


I had a hard time looking at the wound, and it took some time to get used to the staples. So, you want to see some pictures? If you do, scroll down. If you are feeling a bit faint, that's fine. Stop after the first one!.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Oh my gosh! Poor little fella! It's always been one of my fears to fall down while carrying one of the kids, so kudos for surviving!

I hope he feels better soon. Popsicles are always our go-to get well treat.