House

House

Friday, August 6, 2010

For the Love of Food

One often hears the phrase "There are ___ kinds of people in the world." The world is then divided in twos and threes by various methods. One that I have heard is that pretty much everyone's attitude toward food can be defined in two ways: Eat to live, or live to eat.

Those who eat to live are the ones responsible for imagining a future where all of our nutrients can be ingested in the form of pills. Those who live to eat can think of no torture more terrible.

I fall firmly into the second camp.

I LOVE food. I love good, rich food. I love sweets. I like fruit, but I just tolerate most vegetables unless they are very fresh or exceptionally prepared.

Why am I talking about this? Because I am obsessed with food. As I mentioned in a past entry, I am really tempted by chocolate and have been known to eat straight sugar. I'm obsessed for a different reason these days. I am trying to be more careful for my health, but I also have a goal to get down to my pre-Abel weight by his first birthday. I was on track until our crazy July, and now I am having to get pretty serious to get back. I'm writing this now so I can talk about food instead of eating it. I am hungry, but I have eaten all my allotted calories till this time of day.

I have found a fantastic website called livestrong.com. This site has a huge database of almost every food you can buy. It tracks your calories, other nutrition, and exercise. It's fascinating! I have learned a lot by doing this. I have learned that aside from junk food, my calorie intake isn't too far off from what it should be. I have also learned that snacking on vegetables is much more filling calorie for calorie than sugary or salty junk food. Also, the more I exercise, the more I can eat! And yes, I did already know some of this, but it makes a difference to see it all in black and white.

2 comments:

Natalia said...

Good luck with your goal!

Pamela said...

Good for you! I've found that thinking about food a lot while trying to lose weight actually helps me. Reading about how much to eat, what to eat, etc seems to help me stay motivated (and seeing the numbers on the scale drop also seems to do a good job, am I right?). Sorry July threw you a curveball but good for you for getting back on track :)