House

House

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crazy Valentine's Weekend

We had a wild and fun weekend! On Friday, Kandy was going straight home with a friend for a sleepover, and Missy and Sunny had assessments for the gifted program. It was right in the middle of Missy's short day. Between that and not having Kandy to walk home from the bus with, we decided she would just miss school. My mom watched the boys in the morning while we went to the assessment. In the afternoon, my friend had volunteered to take all the kids for a massive playdate. I stayed home with Abel and made Missy's birthday cake. (Her birthday was last week, but her friend has the same birthday. Her mom and I decided that she could have her party last week, and Missy would have hers on the 13th.)

So I cooked and cleaned. We had arranged with another friend to watch the kids Friday evening so we could have our Valentine date. Ben was on his way home from work when the car totally stalled in the middle of an intersection! Abel was asleep, and the cake was about to come out of the oven. I called a wonderful neighbor and asked if she could help by either getting Ben or staying with the baby and the cake. She went and helped Ben. He got home a little later than planned! About 6:00, I dashed off to pick up the kids from one friend's house and drop them off at the other! I stayed there while Ben prepared a few things for our date.

When I came home, Ben handed me a clue. He had placed clues throughout the house. Each one had a reason he loved me and a riddle to solve about where to find the next clue. It was lots of fun! After the treasure hunt, we had a wonderful home date. We ate grilled steak and played games. It was wonderful to eat steak without listening to the kids complain about whatever I made them! I actually got to taste and savor my dinner. It was fabulous!

On Saturday, we spent the morning in preparation for Missy's birthday party. At 1:00, her friends arrived. We had handed out the invitations rather late, so only 3 guests came. That was fine with me! Including my 3 girls, that made 6. The boys cooperated by sleeping through the whole thing! That evening, we swapped babysitting by watching the 4 kids of my friend who had watched the kids Friday afternoon for their Valentine date.

Sunday was pretty quiet and normal. We went to Church in the morning and my parents house in the evening.

Monday afternoon, we swapped babysitting again, watching the 2 kids of our friends who watched our children on Friday night. With the rain and extra kids, it was a crazy afternoon. I was feeling cooped up, so I was happy when I remembered that we had fun plans for the evening! We went to a surprise birthday party in honor of one our friends who turned 30.

Today the kids have still been out of school. Thanks to the glorious weather, they have spent most of the day outside. Missy and Kandy have been riding bikes with our neighbor. She is 11 1/2, so she's a fantastic responsible playmate to have around!

No comments: