House

House

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ultrasound

Today was my ultrasound. Until the last minute, I was vacillating about whether to find out the gender or not. The children were a split vote, and Ben was rather ambivalent. Unfortunately, he had to teach today, so I was all alone. When they asked if I wanted to find out, I put off answering by saying how unsure I was. The technician continued the ultrasound. I finally requested one of the options Ben and I had discussed: I asked them to find out without telling me and write it in my file. That way, if I ever changed my mind before delivery, I could ask. The technician finished and gave me my DVD, saying the doctor would come in just a minute. He would do a couple last-minute things, including determine the gender.

The doctor came in and sat down. In a very business-like manner, he began using the machine. After just a minute or two, he told me that the baby was being uncooperative. So after all that worry, stress, anxiety, and so forth, it ended up being a moot point--the decision was made for me. So, boy or girl? It's anybody's guess. I don't have any feelings on the subject!

I'm happy with the outcome of the day, though. Now I didn't find out, but it's not that I didn't try. I couldn't have planned it better.

2 comments:

HK said...

We love the element of surprise, I think you will too! Other than that, how is the baby doing?

Smendrick said...

Thanks for reminding me of that, as that is the most important part of the whole procedure!

The baby is just fine--all limbs and major organs accounted for, and a good size for the date.