House

House

Monday, September 15, 2008

Dental Dilemma

All the girls went to the dentist a few weeks ago. Kandy and Missy came away clean, but Sunny has cavities! This did not surprise me as Sunny is the junior sugar addict around here, and she hates brushing her teeth. So we had to make an appointment to go back.

They gave her a prescription she was supposed to take an hour before the appointment to make her sleepy. She refused. I called, and they said to bring her anyway. They tried the "happy gas." That lasted about five minutes till she wiggled out of it. They gave her a chance to sit still. Ha! Sunny? That kid is perpetual motion.

They sent us home with a new appointment and a refilled prescription since she did have a teensy taste of it. As my "flusteration" wore off, I realized that making another appointment for a week later is stupid. She will not have changed personality or tastes by then, which means she still will not take the medicine, the gas, or sit still.

I believe in dental health. I understand at least some of the ramifications of untreated cavities. But what is a mother to do??? I called and cancelled the appointment today, and I asked for the dentist to call me.

1 comment:

Cutey said...

When I was younger I had to have a tooth pulled and they tried to give me the "happy gas" which smells really weird, so I just held my breath. Every time the nurse would walk out of the room, I'd pull the mask off. My lovely acting skills convinced them I was properly drugged, so they pulled my tooth. OOOWWWWWW! My advice is to tie her down and give her the medicine. I still remember how much it hurt. OOOOWWWWWW!