House

House

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spring and Summer So Far

I haven't done too well at blogging this spring and summer so far.  I have a few reasons or excuses, but they're not worth putting down! 

This season will go down in our history as the year of injured left lower appendages.  I broke or severely strained several ligaments or tendons in my left foot, Sunny broke the growth plate on her left leg, and Kandy broke her left big toe (we think).

I did mine by running with the dog in the dark and tripping in a big hole.  I'm so grateful for cell phones and that Kandy was old enough to stay up alone while Ben came to get me.  I don't know how I ever would have made it home otherwise.  I was on crutches for a week until I went to the doctor.  He prescribed a walking boot that I wore for 3 or 4 more weeks.

Sunny was just running through the house and tripped.  The crazy thing is that her injury is the kid version of mine.  Kids break the growth plate; adults, whose growth plate has sealed, just strain tendons and ligaments.  She is still wearing her walking boot.  It has hardly slowed her down at all, and she is very glad she can take it off to swim.  She is anxiously awaiting her appointment next week when she gets clearance to take it off for good!

Kandy was just doing the can-can and kicked the wall really hard.  We didn't actually get x-rays because last year when she broke her right toe, they basically said, "Yes, she broke her toe."  They did nothing.  We found a cast shoe in her size and she wore that for a week or two until it didn't hurt so bad.

In spite of all this, we have had a lot of fun.  We have gone to the zoo, to the Liberty Park fountains with cousins, had Sunny's 7th birthday party, swimming in Bountiful with other cousins, and lots of fun times at home as a family.

My injuries have helped develop independence in the kids because I just couldn't do as much for them.  (I also burned my hand on the 4th of July grabbing a sparkler from Abel before he could burn himself.)  It's almost healed.  I can't do dishes, but I have managed to make six batches of apricot jam.  The kids have picked and sold about 20-25 lbs. of apricots on the street corner near our house.

No comments: