House

House

Monday, June 14, 2010

Oil Spill

We live very near the Jordan River, as I have mentioned before. The recent oil spill has hit very close to home, indeed. Yesterday we walked over to the river, and it was disgusting! I forgot the camera, though. The fumes were pretty bad, and there was lots of black slime oozing down the river. I walked over today, and it was much better. Here is some visible oil still floating:

This is the nearest pumping site, which is right below the slime in the picture above.
And this is below the pumping site. You can still see a sheen on the water, but there was no more black stuff!
I am really impressed at Chevron's response to this, especially when contrasted with the behavior of BP in the Gulf spill. They are doing everything they can as quickly as they can, and they are bearing the expense to get it all cleaned up. Last night I feared it would be weeks until we could even think of putting the canoe back on the river, but today I am more hopeful. We will see what they say at the community meeting tonight.

I recommend my niece's blog post on the subject as well.

No comments: